Sunday, March 29, 2009

Being a novice...


Today it happened again: I was starting a new crochet project, I read the instructions and was thinking "Huh??". I decided not to be unsure about it and start anyway. The pattern was stated as "easy" so come on! I started. Doing exactly what the instructions said. Thinking "How can this be right?", but still crocheting further until the AHA!-moment came.
When reading the pattern before I actually start I'm sort of "pre-crocheting" the pattern in my mind . It puzzles me a lot, being a novice with not too much crochet experience, and makes me think about what other project to start when this one doesn't work for me... Until I see the light and understand what was meant in the instructions.

For some time that took more confidence from me than I had. I started to crochet last summer and I immediately liked it a lot. I had quite a lot of help and a Dutch crochet pattern. I was scared off by a lot of English patterns with US crochet terms. Just a couple of weeks ago my Mum bought me a great crochet book by Jan Eaton, translated in Dutch and I became a more active member on Ravelry! No idea what did it, but I finally gained the confidence to start a project in US crochet terms and without the help of a dear friend who really knows about crochet (in Dutch that is). It was a success and I gained confidence.
I know that I just have to start and do exactly as described in the patterns. When I get more experienced I might be able to "pre-crochet" in my mind when reading the pattern, but not now!

In the meantime since my last blog I wasn't doing completely nothing. I made another pair of the openwork handwarmers and I crocheted a beaded scrunchie. Both projects added to my knowledge of and insight in crochet, gave me even more confidence and were a lot of fun!
Some pics can be found here:
Bambou Beaded Scrunchie
Mermaid Openwork Handwarmers

Mermaid Openwork Handwarmers other side


I still had to weave in the ends, but that's also done now.
Time to go on with my new and secret project! (it's a surprise for a friend ;-))

2 comments:

Shelley Rickey said...

Hi Babe,
Cooool! I want to learn to knit or crochet sometime. I love knitware. These are really neato! Hope you and Jan are having fun.
ZOEN,
Shelley.

Corwinna said...

Hi Sweetie!
And you can create whatever you like: fashion, vintage, steampunk, you name it! For you it would be an ideal way to express yourself even more :)

Jan and I are enjoying ourselves! Taking it easy, but tasting the good side of live and knowing we'll be at the Castlefest again this year (everyday!).

Kus, Pauline